Research Paper 2 Questions (200 points):
Suggested topics OR create your own topic from any time between the 1930s and the 2000s and verify beforehand with the professor
- Describe some of the strategies implemented by the U.S. government to improve the U.S. economy during the Great Depression (1929-1941)? Provide specific examples of President Roosevelt’s New Deal programs or legislations. What drug law reforms were made during this era and why? What economic programs did the U.S. government undertake during the 1930s to improve the economy and conditions among people?
- What factors influenced the U.S. government to enter the war against Japan, Germany, and Italy in December 1941? What types of fanatical warfare did the Japanese and Germans rely upon? What measures did the U.S. military take to knock Germany and Japan out of the war? How did the U.S. economy improve as a result of involvement in World War II?
- Describe some of the social conditions found among many U.S. women during the 1950s. What physical and social pressures did many women during the 1950s encounter? What information and insight did feminist author, Betty Friedan, provide in The Feminine Mystique that described women’s roles in U.S. society? Draw a few comparisons between the employment status of women during the 1950s and during the current 2000s. Name several historical factors which influenced employment statuses between U.S. men and U.S. women between the 1950s and 2000s.
- Describe some examples of segregation between skin-color groups within the U.S. southeastern states during the 1950s. What efforts were made to desegregate southeastern states among civil rights organizations? Describe the differences between the civil rights efforts of Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. What sort of statements did these two men use in their speeches to further their causes?
- Define the term ‘counterculture’. What specific circumstances related to the Kennedy assassination, the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Watergate scandal influenced counterculture movements during the 1960s and 1970s? Provide any relevant statistics that influenced these movements.
- Outline three main factors which maintained the Cold War between the U.S. and Soviet Union between 1945 and 1991. What were the differences in the U.S. and Soviet economies? What conditions influenced the end of the Cold War in the late 1980s and early 1990s?
- What political issues from the late 1990s – 2020 have created an increased polarization between various political factions in the United States? Why were there three impeachments of Presidents between 1999 and 2021?
- Choose 1 of the 5 essay questions to answer.
- Write 3-5 pages to explain your position.
- Paragraphs in this assignment need at least 5 sentences.
- Type and double-space your answers.
- Provide statistics in your answer.
- Use at least two references to support your answer. (The textbook and/or notes from class may be used as references). Do not use Wikipedia.
- Cite the two references multiple times throughout the paragraphs. Ideally, there should be 3 – 5 citations within each paragraph.
- Use APA or MLA or Chicago footnote format.
- Provide a work cited page in addition to your 3-5 pages essay.
APA citation examples
APA format includes parenthetical citation after the stated fact.
The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 helped influence anti-slavery attitudes in the North due to its stated policy that slavery was prohibited in new states north of the Ohio River (Shi, 2018).
MLA citation examples
The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 helped influence anti-slavery attitudes in the North due to its stated policy that slavery was prohibited in new states north of the Ohio River (Shi, p. 123).
Chicago Citation examples:
Chicago style includes footnotes after the stated fact.
Example: The Northwest Ordinance of 1787 helped influence anti-slavery attitudes in the North due to its stated policy that slavery was prohibited in new states north of the Ohio River.
*To insert the footnote, use the “References” option at the top of an MS Word document and click “Insert Footnote” at the end of the sentences.
 David Emory Shi, America: The Essential Learning Edition (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2018), [page number if using a quote].