For this assignment, you have a choice in how you will analyze the concept of the definition of abnormal behavior. There is a wide range of opinions on how to define abnormal behavior. This is the reason the professional psychological community now uses the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). Choose one of the following options and write a 2-page paper. Bridley and Daffin (2013) identify 4 concepts that people use to decide whether behavior is “abnormal” or “normal.” The question of what behavior is normal and what is abnormal defines the basis of what we will be studying, and the answers do not always make it clear as to what is the correct answer. Often, we define abnormal behavior as that which deviates from what we ourselves consider to be normal. However, our definition of “normal” may not agree with what others believe it to be.
- Go to: https://opentext.wsu.edu/abnormal-psych/front-matter/table-of-contents/Consider how the four concepts listed in this section help one to discern whether behavior is normal or abnormal.
- Read Module 1.1 “Understanding Abnormal Behavior.”
- Prepare a 2-page paper summarizing each of the concepts in your own words. Ensure the following points are thoroughly addressed:
- A summary of each concept in your own words
- The challenges of each concept if used to define behaviors as normal or abnormal
- Give an example of deviant behavior that would be considered abnormal and an example of deviant behavior that is usually not considered to be abnormal (not examples in the text)
- Support your writing with at least two academic sources.